Skip to main content

Boat Building

Right
from the start of my vision, I knew I had to create a 3D model of a boat. Whether that was towards paint-over concepts, illustrations, renders, or for a first-person on-board experience, I knew a fishing boat would be at the heart of the video game.

Below is a side view of the Scully's hull in its early stages; within the 3D modelling software Maya. Behind the highlighted model, is the image of my model sheet (see here) which I used like a blue print to work and build up from.




One of the greatest challenges while modelling the vessel for me, was not having any clear reference other than my model sheet and a few photographs to work from. This was okay to an extent but several features below the water line, for this type of fishing boat, are not well documented. This was a real test and I spent a great deal of time trying to interpret 2D images into a 3D space to the best of my ability.

Another thing I struggled with, and for some time, was the shape of the bow (the first version highlighted in white above). At the top is a raised forecastle which changes to a flat keel at the bottom. I was unsure how to shape it in low poly with no guide or tutorial. I decided to leave it and come back to it another day. To my surprise, after rest away from my screen and a good night's sleep, my prefrontal cortex had whipped up some magic, as I somehow knew how to model it and with some speed too!!




Above is the blocked-out hull model, complete with the magic bow! I decided to extend the length of the vessel slightly, which can be seen by the split in the model sheet reference. This was due to the original reference I used being in different measurements. I also feel the new length boosts the overall appearance and balances out that of the upper decks at the aft (rear); whilst allowing for more possibilities of exploration and gameplay.




Here we have a later stage of the model. In the upper aft of the boat (the wheelhouse), I have placed a Human IK skeleton rigged in a 'T-pose'. This built-in Maya feature, used by animators, also acts as a very useful way to measure and judge scales. Furthermore, you can assign a new camera to the head of a Human IK skeleton and gain a first-person perspective; again, great to quickly estimate scale and get an early player viewpoint!


Thanks for reading :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6 Yr Blog Anniversary

H appy  6th Blogiversary! Six years ago today, this project began! Over two thousand days later  (Gulp) , I'm still proud of the consistency I've maintained. I often think back to University, which instilled in me the habit of posting regularly on Blogger. Looking back, it's incredible to see how much has changed, and yet how much the core of this project remains the same.  It's not always easy, but this blog has become a vital part of my creative process and personal growth. Developing D_ROGUE has been a long journey with many challenges and lessons learned along the way. Seeing the progress over the years fuels my motivation, especially that initial drive to document my work and build a portfolio. There's still a looooooong way to go, but I'm more determined than ever. Remembering my original intent...to document my journey, share my learnings, and build a portfolio, is key. Seeing my skills grow through previous posts has been both invaluable and ...

Boat Bow

U nlike the relatively rectangular mid-section, the curvature of the bow demanded a lot of attention to model correctly. Accuracy of the  F/V  Scully's  bow was paramount, as the front of the boat defines the vessel’s silhouette but also its ability to cleave through the sea. I was determined to get this to feel right and improve upon my first attempt from back in 2019. To achieve this, I scoured hundreds of images of crab boats, just to find at least one with a clear angle in dry dock below the water line  for reference .  I then stumbled upon a couple of images of a boat undergoing repairs with its hull plating partially removed. This was a massive breakthrough, offering a much better understanding of the reinforced internal structure. What’s more, the reference image just so happened to be of the fishing vessel seen in the TV show Deadliest Catch I originally based the F/V  Scully on…the F/V  Kodiak ! Following the reference image, I actually laid o...

Forepeak Progress

F ollowing on from the progress made modelling the bulwarks of the  F/V  Scully's  main  deck, I continued along towards the bow. Below we have the forepeak. This is the very most forward section of a boat, typically used in crab fishing vessels for frozen bait, general storage and essential machinery. The process of bringing the forepeak to life involved not just creating its fundamental shape, but also considering the practicalities of its function for authenticity; much like the rest of the boat. Given how vital this area on the boat is, I made sure to pay careful attention to the steel plating and seamless transition from the sides upwards .  The forepeak, in particular, has to look integrated with the rest of the deck and feel like it is capable of withstanding the constant battle with the elements; visually reflecting both its inherent strength and industrial purposes. Jason Bartlett © Next time, I concentrate very hard on getting the bow just right (that'...