Skip to main content

Character Designs

Some

early character concept designs I've been working on. This is the first stage of the character design process for the project. Here I've thrown down drafts for shape, form and unique characteristics of three of the six crew members of the F/V Scully.


                                                                                                                                        Jason Bartlett ©

This first set of concepts are of the Captain (Left), First Mate (Middle) and Greenhorn (Right). Each member of the crew will have a backstory, of which I hope to capture in their appearances. I've tried to make key features of their character distinguishable and easy to read, yet not overly stereotypical; such as the captain's beard and belly! I aim to tie their backstories into the core gameplay; as with any mystery, you have to uncover information to seek the truth.


                                                                                                                                        Jason Bartlett ©

Above is the captain of the Scully. As the visual development of these characters is in its early phase, I have yet to work out all the details and personality traits you'd see on a hardcore D&D character sheet!


                                                                                                                                        Jason Bartlett ©

Here we have the first mate of the Scully. The first mate is someone who is usually in charge of the deck crew and is second in command to the captain. I decided that the setting for the game will be sometime around the heyday of crab fishing in Alaska. In the 1970's or 1980's. This was a period of over-fishing and HUGE profit in the industry due to a flourishing rise in king crab population.


                                                                                                                                        Jason Bartlett ©

This is the main protagonist of the project. A greenhorn. Whom the player would play as in first-person. The term greenhorn is someone who is inexperienced on the job or at an activity and is a rookie. A novice.

I enjoyed playing around with the 70's/80's designs and looking at fashion in America...when baggy clothing and fifty shades of brown was in.

I enjoyed creating this character sheet, the likes of which I haven't made since University, and was a fun break from hard surface modelling. I look forward to working on the next three character designs (I chose a crew of six as this is the average for a crab fishing vessel) and working with line art more loosely.


Thanks for reading :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6 Yr Blog Anniversary

H appy  6th Blogiversary! Six years ago today, this project began! Over two thousand days later  (Gulp) , I'm still proud of the consistency I've maintained. I often think back to University, which instilled in me the habit of posting regularly on Blogger. Looking back, it's incredible to see how much has changed, and yet how much the core of this project remains the same.  It's not always easy, but this blog has become a vital part of my creative process and personal growth. Developing D_ROGUE has been a long journey with many challenges and lessons learned along the way. Seeing the progress over the years fuels my motivation, especially that initial drive to document my work and build a portfolio. There's still a looooooong way to go, but I'm more determined than ever. Remembering my original intent...to document my journey, share my learnings, and build a portfolio, is key. Seeing my skills grow through previous posts has been both invaluable and ...

Boat Bow

U nlike the relatively rectangular mid-section, the curvature of the bow demanded a lot of attention to model correctly. Accuracy of the  F/V  Scully's  bow was paramount, as the front of the boat defines the vessel’s silhouette but also its ability to cleave through the sea. I was determined to get this to feel right and improve upon my first attempt from back in 2019. To achieve this, I scoured hundreds of images of crab boats, just to find at least one with a clear angle in dry dock below the water line  for reference .  I then stumbled upon a couple of images of a boat undergoing repairs with its hull plating partially removed. This was a massive breakthrough, offering a much better understanding of the reinforced internal structure. What’s more, the reference image just so happened to be of the fishing vessel seen in the TV show Deadliest Catch I originally based the F/V  Scully on…the F/V  Kodiak ! Following the reference image, I actually laid o...

Forepeak Progress

F ollowing on from the progress made modelling the bulwarks of the  F/V  Scully's  main  deck, I continued along towards the bow. Below we have the forepeak. This is the very most forward section of a boat, typically used in crab fishing vessels for frozen bait, general storage and essential machinery. The process of bringing the forepeak to life involved not just creating its fundamental shape, but also considering the practicalities of its function for authenticity; much like the rest of the boat. Given how vital this area on the boat is, I made sure to pay careful attention to the steel plating and seamless transition from the sides upwards .  The forepeak, in particular, has to look integrated with the rest of the deck and feel like it is capable of withstanding the constant battle with the elements; visually reflecting both its inherent strength and industrial purposes. Jason Bartlett © Next time, I concentrate very hard on getting the bow just right (that'...