Skip to main content

Title Reveal

Ahoy!

It's been exactly one year since I embarked on this game art project and after much considerable thought, between research and development, I feel it's time to reveal the official game title...










                                                                                                                                         Jason Bartlett ©



So here it is! D_ROGUE. Or, Drogue.

A definite improvement from the previous vague place holder 'Untitled' that's for sure!

In time, I'll explain what the title means as a whole for the game. But for now, I'll let you speculate or google the word for anyone who doesn't know what it means!

You may have noticed slight changes to the blog too. This is in keeping to the project as it evolves and the blog represents the overall theme. 

After a year, working in and out on the project (while using the material produced for my portfolio), I feel I have learned so SO much. From workflow, to software, from time management, to art styles.

I've also noticed a trend in my work. I'm always doing something I haven't done before.

Artist Pablo Picasso said "I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it".

One of my favourite quotes by John F. Kennedy (during his iconic Rice University speech in 1962) relates quite wonderfully to this.

"We choose to go to the Moon [...] We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard."

I am focusing on creating content of which I haven't made before, to learn and build upon what I am capable of. The numerous different aspects of the setting, onboard a fishing boat, opens up a tonne of new opportunities to create as well as learn. 

I really enjoyed creating little animation teasers on my socials (see here) in an old retro computer style, to reveal the new title. I hope you enjoyed them too!

In the next post, I'll dive into how I made the animations and try my best not to write too much about how I love the 70's and 80's.


Thanks for reading :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6 Yr Blog Anniversary

H appy  6th Blogiversary! Six years ago today, this project began! Over two thousand days later  (Gulp) , I'm still proud of the consistency I've maintained. I often think back to University, which instilled in me the habit of posting regularly on Blogger. Looking back, it's incredible to see how much has changed, and yet how much the core of this project remains the same.  It's not always easy, but this blog has become a vital part of my creative process and personal growth. Developing D_ROGUE has been a long journey with many challenges and lessons learned along the way. Seeing the progress over the years fuels my motivation, especially that initial drive to document my work and build a portfolio. There's still a looooooong way to go, but I'm more determined than ever. Remembering my original intent...to document my journey, share my learnings, and build a portfolio, is key. Seeing my skills grow through previous posts has been both invaluable and ...

Boat Bow

U nlike the relatively rectangular mid-section, the curvature of the bow demanded a lot of attention to model correctly. Accuracy of the  F/V  Scully's  bow was paramount, as the front of the boat defines the vessel’s silhouette but also its ability to cleave through the sea. I was determined to get this to feel right and improve upon my first attempt from back in 2019. To achieve this, I scoured hundreds of images of crab boats, just to find at least one with a clear angle in dry dock below the water line  for reference .  I then stumbled upon a couple of images of a boat undergoing repairs with its hull plating partially removed. This was a massive breakthrough, offering a much better understanding of the reinforced internal structure. What’s more, the reference image just so happened to be of the fishing vessel seen in the TV show Deadliest Catch I originally based the F/V  Scully on…the F/V  Kodiak ! Following the reference image, I actually laid o...

Forepeak Progress

F ollowing on from the progress made modelling the bulwarks of the  F/V  Scully's  main  deck, I continued along towards the bow. Below we have the forepeak. This is the very most forward section of a boat, typically used in crab fishing vessels for frozen bait, general storage and essential machinery. The process of bringing the forepeak to life involved not just creating its fundamental shape, but also considering the practicalities of its function for authenticity; much like the rest of the boat. Given how vital this area on the boat is, I made sure to pay careful attention to the steel plating and seamless transition from the sides upwards .  The forepeak, in particular, has to look integrated with the rest of the deck and feel like it is capable of withstanding the constant battle with the elements; visually reflecting both its inherent strength and industrial purposes. Jason Bartlett © Next time, I concentrate very hard on getting the bow just right (that'...