Skip to main content

Nautical Barometer & Clock

A
s a kid, I frequently visited both my Grandparents houses. In their hallways, was a strange wooden clock, with letters instead of numbers on the face and a brass dial you could turn and set yourself.

It wasn't until I was much older (old enough to reach it!) that I came to question what exactly it did. It turns out, what I thought was a peculiar clock was a barometer. A device used to measure atmospheric air pressure and indicate how likely the weather will change in the day.

In the 20th century, before mobiles and the internet, fishermen out at sea for weeks relied on instruments such as this to get a heads up on the ever-changing weather.

Since I had this connection, a first-hand real-world memory of it, I found creating a model of the device for D_ROGUE lots of fun. As it is something I am so familiar with, I could visualise the steps in order to recreate it digitally in 3D.

As I wanted to create the whole thing anew (including a clock), it took a bit more time than I anticipated. I had to create the face graphics completely from scratch (something I had never done before). Furthermore, I had to add rough circular measurements in increments and wrap text around the curvature!


Jason Bartlett ©


Here are the two faces I created using vectors. Vector graphics is made up of points rather than square pixels. No matter how large or small the image is it remains smooth and crisp. If I had used a pixel-based image for the stamp tool in Substance Painter, the final texture would have looked pixelated and low quality close-up. Afterall, this is the 'face' of the device, the area we instinctually concentrate our focus on.


Jason Bartlett ©

Above I have the low poly model in Maya ready to be exported. I was fairly pleased with how the UV unwrap went, considering how I always run into problems in this stage, it went surprisingly well.


Jason Bartlett ©


Here I have the textured model open in Substance Painter. I used multiple materials and layers to build up the textures, adding unique features and weathering, to tell a story of the instruments (the really fun part). In the split screen view, is the 3D viewport to the left and the 2D map to the right. This map is the texture of the clock's glass front. I quite enjoyed figuring out where the fingerprints, scrapes and scratches would be on the barometer and the clock. As the barometer would be handled more, I added more wear to the surrounding brass and scratches to the cover.


Jason Bartlett ©


Finally, I have the model assigned with all its finished materials in Marmoset Toolbag 3. I have set up a basic scene and lit the subject with various lights to present the subject. Below are a few renders I am really happy with. Enjoy!


Jason Bartlett ©

Jason Bartlett ©

Jason Bartlett ©

For more shots of the model, check out my Artstation page here. Overall, I'm very pleased with how this model turned out and the whole workflow process. I look forward to animating the hands in the future!


Thanks for reading :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6 Yr Blog Anniversary

H appy  6th Blogiversary! Six years ago today, this project began! Over two thousand days later  (Gulp) , I'm still proud of the consistency I've maintained. I often think back to University, which instilled in me the habit of posting regularly on Blogger. Looking back, it's incredible to see how much has changed, and yet how much the core of this project remains the same.  It's not always easy, but this blog has become a vital part of my creative process and personal growth. Developing D_ROGUE has been a long journey with many challenges and lessons learned along the way. Seeing the progress over the years fuels my motivation, especially that initial drive to document my work and build a portfolio. There's still a looooooong way to go, but I'm more determined than ever. Remembering my original intent...to document my journey, share my learnings, and build a portfolio, is key. Seeing my skills grow through previous posts has been both invaluable and ...

Boat Bow

U nlike the relatively rectangular mid-section, the curvature of the bow demanded a lot of attention to model correctly. Accuracy of the  F/V  Scully's  bow was paramount, as the front of the boat defines the vessel’s silhouette but also its ability to cleave through the sea. I was determined to get this to feel right and improve upon my first attempt from back in 2019. To achieve this, I scoured hundreds of images of crab boats, just to find at least one with a clear angle in dry dock below the water line  for reference .  I then stumbled upon a couple of images of a boat undergoing repairs with its hull plating partially removed. This was a massive breakthrough, offering a much better understanding of the reinforced internal structure. What’s more, the reference image just so happened to be of the fishing vessel seen in the TV show Deadliest Catch I originally based the F/V  Scully on…the F/V  Kodiak ! Following the reference image, I actually laid o...

Forepeak Progress

F ollowing on from the progress made modelling the bulwarks of the  F/V  Scully's  main  deck, I continued along towards the bow. Below we have the forepeak. This is the very most forward section of a boat, typically used in crab fishing vessels for frozen bait, general storage and essential machinery. The process of bringing the forepeak to life involved not just creating its fundamental shape, but also considering the practicalities of its function for authenticity; much like the rest of the boat. Given how vital this area on the boat is, I made sure to pay careful attention to the steel plating and seamless transition from the sides upwards .  The forepeak, in particular, has to look integrated with the rest of the deck and feel like it is capable of withstanding the constant battle with the elements; visually reflecting both its inherent strength and industrial purposes. Jason Bartlett © Next time, I concentrate very hard on getting the bow just right (that'...