Skip to main content

Coiling Block

S

ince leaving University, I've truly learnt how optimising and refining the geometry of my models is a key part of the production process in Maya.

Figuring out what surface components are necessary and removing unnecessary ones can make a huge difference on performance in a video game. Even more so, the more assets there are, such as in triple A games.

This model of a coiling block (also known as a line hauler) I created, is a great example of this. In the second and third screenshots, I have enabled wireframe on shaded mode to show the tidied vertices, edges and faces.

While this is a fairly detailed model, I have still applied the best practices of cleaning up any unessential elements. After enough repetition and iteration, optimising geometry becomes second nature. 


Jason Bartlett ©

Above is the complete coiling block in Maya. This piece of equipment is powered by hydraulics and helps raise heavy pots out of the water by coiling line along a spinning spool plate. The block consists of several parts including the davit arm and line hauler. The arm hangs the hauler over the side of the boat to raise crab pots, which are then moved into the boat via a picking boom or crane.


Jason Bartlett ©

Here is the front and back of the coiling block in perspective view (above) and orthographic view (below). I used an assortment of references, both photographs and blueprints (I know, finally some actual plans!!) to work from.


Jason Bartlett ©

Underneath is a close-up of the shackles linking the line hauler to the davit arm. I found the shackle was actually the most complicated part of the build to model. Attempting to replicate the right curvature, as well as shaping the end bolt rings, proved rather challenging.


Jason Bartlett ©

I enjoyed creating this mechanical piece, as it had a real mixture of features and form. I look forward to when I UV unwrap it (you don't hear that often!) and texture the model in Substance Painter.


Thanks for reading :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6 Yr Blog Anniversary

H appy  6th Blogiversary! Six years ago today, this project began! Over two thousand days later  (Gulp) , I'm still proud of the consistency I've maintained. I often think back to University, which instilled in me the habit of posting regularly on Blogger. Looking back, it's incredible to see how much has changed, and yet how much the core of this project remains the same.  It's not always easy, but this blog has become a vital part of my creative process and personal growth. Developing D_ROGUE has been a long journey with many challenges and lessons learned along the way. Seeing the progress over the years fuels my motivation, especially that initial drive to document my work and build a portfolio. There's still a looooooong way to go, but I'm more determined than ever. Remembering my original intent...to document my journey, share my learnings, and build a portfolio, is key. Seeing my skills grow through previous posts has been both invaluable and ...

Boat Bow

U nlike the relatively rectangular mid-section, the curvature of the bow demanded a lot of attention to model correctly. Accuracy of the  F/V  Scully's  bow was paramount, as the front of the boat defines the vessel’s silhouette but also its ability to cleave through the sea. I was determined to get this to feel right and improve upon my first attempt from back in 2019. To achieve this, I scoured hundreds of images of crab boats, just to find at least one with a clear angle in dry dock below the water line  for reference .  I then stumbled upon a couple of images of a boat undergoing repairs with its hull plating partially removed. This was a massive breakthrough, offering a much better understanding of the reinforced internal structure. What’s more, the reference image just so happened to be of the fishing vessel seen in the TV show Deadliest Catch I originally based the F/V  Scully on…the F/V  Kodiak ! Following the reference image, I actually laid o...

Forepeak Progress

F ollowing on from the progress made modelling the bulwarks of the  F/V  Scully's  main  deck, I continued along towards the bow. Below we have the forepeak. This is the very most forward section of a boat, typically used in crab fishing vessels for frozen bait, general storage and essential machinery. The process of bringing the forepeak to life involved not just creating its fundamental shape, but also considering the practicalities of its function for authenticity; much like the rest of the boat. Given how vital this area on the boat is, I made sure to pay careful attention to the steel plating and seamless transition from the sides upwards .  The forepeak, in particular, has to look integrated with the rest of the deck and feel like it is capable of withstanding the constant battle with the elements; visually reflecting both its inherent strength and industrial purposes. Jason Bartlett © Next time, I concentrate very hard on getting the bow just right (that'...