Skip to main content

Happy New Year

Happy New Year!


For my first post of 2022, I thought I'd give a brief summary (like usual) on the year gone by and where I'm going in the future with D_ROGUE.

2021 was quite a stir up in my creative output. I finally got a full-time job as a digital artist in a production company. I know, I still can't quite believe it!! This shifted my whole outlook as well as output in my artwork. Both figuratively and literally.

While I was working part-time, I was able to use my available free time to create artwork for D_ROGUE. Now my creative profession is full-time, I find I have less opportunities to create my art digitally (having already spent over eight hours each day staring at a screen).

Now I know what you might be thinking. Am I ending this journey here?

Not even the slightest.

My productivity will indeed be slowed considerably, but I still intend to continue creating 3D assets and much more.

One positive I have taken, from having less time on my hands for my personal projects, is I am constantly learning and gaining new skills in my career. These skills can then be applied elsewhere creatively. From learning new software like Cinema 4D, to new tools in game engines, such as Unreal Engine 4.

Last year, though less productive than the year before that (the one we do not speak of), I concentrated my efforts exclusively on modelling the exterior of the F/V Scully. I created numerous mechanical assets and technically challenging models that had very little to no references; pushing my hard surface modelling skills to the test.

This year, I will be going back and texturing all the exterior models. Of which I am VERY much looking forward to working on. Additionally, I still plan to create a working build of D_ROGUE at some point. Be that using the game engine Unity or Unreal.

Earl Nightingale once said "Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.".

Here's to another exciting year ahead. 


Thanks for reading :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6 Yr Blog Anniversary

H appy  6th Blogiversary! Six years ago today, this project began! Over two thousand days later  (Gulp) , I'm still proud of the consistency I've maintained. I often think back to University, which instilled in me the habit of posting regularly on Blogger. Looking back, it's incredible to see how much has changed, and yet how much the core of this project remains the same.  It's not always easy, but this blog has become a vital part of my creative process and personal growth. Developing D_ROGUE has been a long journey with many challenges and lessons learned along the way. Seeing the progress over the years fuels my motivation, especially that initial drive to document my work and build a portfolio. There's still a looooooong way to go, but I'm more determined than ever. Remembering my original intent...to document my journey, share my learnings, and build a portfolio, is key. Seeing my skills grow through previous posts has been both invaluable and ...

Boat Bow

U nlike the relatively rectangular mid-section, the curvature of the bow demanded a lot of attention to model correctly. Accuracy of the  F/V  Scully's  bow was paramount, as the front of the boat defines the vessel’s silhouette but also its ability to cleave through the sea. I was determined to get this to feel right and improve upon my first attempt from back in 2019. To achieve this, I scoured hundreds of images of crab boats, just to find at least one with a clear angle in dry dock below the water line  for reference .  I then stumbled upon a couple of images of a boat undergoing repairs with its hull plating partially removed. This was a massive breakthrough, offering a much better understanding of the reinforced internal structure. What’s more, the reference image just so happened to be of the fishing vessel seen in the TV show Deadliest Catch I originally based the F/V  Scully on…the F/V  Kodiak ! Following the reference image, I actually laid o...

Forepeak Progress

F ollowing on from the progress made modelling the bulwarks of the  F/V  Scully's  main  deck, I continued along towards the bow. Below we have the forepeak. This is the very most forward section of a boat, typically used in crab fishing vessels for frozen bait, general storage and essential machinery. The process of bringing the forepeak to life involved not just creating its fundamental shape, but also considering the practicalities of its function for authenticity; much like the rest of the boat. Given how vital this area on the boat is, I made sure to pay careful attention to the steel plating and seamless transition from the sides upwards .  The forepeak, in particular, has to look integrated with the rest of the deck and feel like it is capable of withstanding the constant battle with the elements; visually reflecting both its inherent strength and industrial purposes. Jason Bartlett © Next time, I concentrate very hard on getting the bow just right (that'...