Skip to main content

Exit Entertainment Title Animation

B

ack in 2012, I created a project that required me to make a fictitious production company.


I named my made-up company Exit Entertainment and even created a title animation for it. I soon went on to reuse this again and again, for my own short films and comedy sketch outros while at college (see here).

Over the past decade, I've created several different iterations of the Exit Entertainment title animation. Going into this project, I thought it would be a great time to update and overhaul the whole look of the sequence to include it in the game's opening titles!

Since D_ROGUE is set in the late 70's, I thought what better way than to create it in the style of what an exit sign might have looked like from that era. Although, a vast majority of them in the past just said EXIT, so I mostly just changed the two-tone colour palette.

Getting started, I had to dig out the old files which needed to be cleaned up and vectorised. Ten years ago, I had only just started to discover what vectors and lossless files were and so the project was all done in pixels. That's right. Lots of yucky aliasing! Though I had to completely recreate all the elements of the titles in Illustrator, I was still able to use the originals as reference.

Something I knew would definitely need to be updated was the titles font. The last font I had used was called Haettenschweiler (I know, that's quite a mouthful). So, I had to have a hunt for something clean and easy to read. Eventually, I found a Helvetica variant (very close to what they actually use for emergency exit signs) and then just played with the lettering and casing till it looked right.

Once I had completed all the elements, I brought them into After Effects to create a simple but effective position keyframe animation.

In all the previous versions of the titles, I included a rather striking female scream for the guy bolting for the exit. As well as this, various other overused sound effects. 

This time around, I took a totally different approach...no sound at all! As the other opening titles for D_ROGUE (the game engine and software used) will be soundless, it just felt right.

Sometimes, less is often more.

Here's a screenshot in After Effects of the completed animation and the keyframes on the timeline. I was able to create the entire thing in under half an hour.


Jason Bartlett ©

Below is the complete Exit Entertainment logo. Hope you like it as much as I had fun making it!

 

Jason Bartlett ©


Thanks for reading :)


P.S. As always, I have left a couple of easter eggs (well technically one and half if you're going to be picky) in there!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6 Yr Blog Anniversary

H appy  6th Blogiversary! Six years ago today, this project began! Over two thousand days later  (Gulp) , I'm still proud of the consistency I've maintained. I often think back to University, which instilled in me the habit of posting regularly on Blogger. Looking back, it's incredible to see how much has changed, and yet how much the core of this project remains the same.  It's not always easy, but this blog has become a vital part of my creative process and personal growth. Developing D_ROGUE has been a long journey with many challenges and lessons learned along the way. Seeing the progress over the years fuels my motivation, especially that initial drive to document my work and build a portfolio. There's still a looooooong way to go, but I'm more determined than ever. Remembering my original intent...to document my journey, share my learnings, and build a portfolio, is key. Seeing my skills grow through previous posts has been both invaluable and ...

Boat Bow

U nlike the relatively rectangular mid-section, the curvature of the bow demanded a lot of attention to model correctly. Accuracy of the  F/V  Scully's  bow was paramount, as the front of the boat defines the vessel’s silhouette but also its ability to cleave through the sea. I was determined to get this to feel right and improve upon my first attempt from back in 2019. To achieve this, I scoured hundreds of images of crab boats, just to find at least one with a clear angle in dry dock below the water line  for reference .  I then stumbled upon a couple of images of a boat undergoing repairs with its hull plating partially removed. This was a massive breakthrough, offering a much better understanding of the reinforced internal structure. What’s more, the reference image just so happened to be of the fishing vessel seen in the TV show Deadliest Catch I originally based the F/V  Scully on…the F/V  Kodiak ! Following the reference image, I actually laid o...

Forepeak Progress

F ollowing on from the progress made modelling the bulwarks of the  F/V  Scully's  main  deck, I continued along towards the bow. Below we have the forepeak. This is the very most forward section of a boat, typically used in crab fishing vessels for frozen bait, general storage and essential machinery. The process of bringing the forepeak to life involved not just creating its fundamental shape, but also considering the practicalities of its function for authenticity; much like the rest of the boat. Given how vital this area on the boat is, I made sure to pay careful attention to the steel plating and seamless transition from the sides upwards .  The forepeak, in particular, has to look integrated with the rest of the deck and feel like it is capable of withstanding the constant battle with the elements; visually reflecting both its inherent strength and industrial purposes. Jason Bartlett © Next time, I concentrate very hard on getting the bow just right (that'...