Skip to main content

Lifting Hook

A

s I mentioned in a previous post, I planned to go back to the assets I created last year for the exterior and finally complete modelling and texturing them.

I started with the hydraulic picking crane. One of the largest pieces of gear on the main deck, the crane towers over everything and is really hard not to miss. I felt I needed to add more detail to the arms, add all the hydraulic components, link up the main cable to the winch and add a hook.

Below is a rigging setup of a lifting hook at the end of the crane arm I modelled. 


Jason Bartlett ©

After watching enough episodes of the TV show Deadliest Catch, I gathered enough knowledge of the correct rigging sets to not have to try and find references! What I did need reference for however, is the hook shape. Years of advancements in technology as well as health and safety has changed the overall shape and features of tools in the crab fishing industry. A lifting hook being one of these. Luckily, I was able to look at a variety of images as well as 3D models online to get the general feel for what one looked like in the late 70's. Additionally, I wanted to get the size right; giving some bulk to the whole form. I felt this was important as this type of hook lifts crab pots weighing around 700 to 800 pounds!



Jason Bartlett ©

Next up will be detailing and adding all the hydraulic hoses.

I look forward to texturing the crane. Especially the lifting hook; creating weathering and telling a story with all the scratches and rust!


Thanks for reading :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6 Yr Blog Anniversary

H appy  6th Blogiversary! Six years ago today, this project began! Over two thousand days later  (Gulp) , I'm still proud of the consistency I've maintained. I often think back to University, which instilled in me the habit of posting regularly on Blogger. Looking back, it's incredible to see how much has changed, and yet how much the core of this project remains the same.  It's not always easy, but this blog has become a vital part of my creative process and personal growth. Developing D_ROGUE has been a long journey with many challenges and lessons learned along the way. Seeing the progress over the years fuels my motivation, especially that initial drive to document my work and build a portfolio. There's still a looooooong way to go, but I'm more determined than ever. Remembering my original intent...to document my journey, share my learnings, and build a portfolio, is key. Seeing my skills grow through previous posts has been both invaluable and ...

Boat Bow

U nlike the relatively rectangular mid-section, the curvature of the bow demanded a lot of attention to model correctly. Accuracy of the  F/V  Scully's  bow was paramount, as the front of the boat defines the vessel’s silhouette but also its ability to cleave through the sea. I was determined to get this to feel right and improve upon my first attempt from back in 2019. To achieve this, I scoured hundreds of images of crab boats, just to find at least one with a clear angle in dry dock below the water line  for reference .  I then stumbled upon a couple of images of a boat undergoing repairs with its hull plating partially removed. This was a massive breakthrough, offering a much better understanding of the reinforced internal structure. What’s more, the reference image just so happened to be of the fishing vessel seen in the TV show Deadliest Catch I originally based the F/V  Scully on…the F/V  Kodiak ! Following the reference image, I actually laid o...

Forepeak Progress

F ollowing on from the progress made modelling the bulwarks of the  F/V  Scully's  main  deck, I continued along towards the bow. Below we have the forepeak. This is the very most forward section of a boat, typically used in crab fishing vessels for frozen bait, general storage and essential machinery. The process of bringing the forepeak to life involved not just creating its fundamental shape, but also considering the practicalities of its function for authenticity; much like the rest of the boat. Given how vital this area on the boat is, I made sure to pay careful attention to the steel plating and seamless transition from the sides upwards .  The forepeak, in particular, has to look integrated with the rest of the deck and feel like it is capable of withstanding the constant battle with the elements; visually reflecting both its inherent strength and industrial purposes. Jason Bartlett © Next time, I concentrate very hard on getting the bow just right (that'...