Skip to main content

Double-barreled Kriegsmarine Signalling Pistol Renders

H

ello!

After being away from blogging for almost an entire year (big life changes) I am finally back! Posts might not be regular every month from now on, but D_ROGUE is still very much alive. Things are just moving a little slower, as well as a bit sideways...like a crab.

As the title for this post states, I have created a model of a double-barreled Kriegsmarine signalling pistol for the game!

A couple of years ago, I visited The Royal Navy Submarine Museum. Amongst the fascinating history and artifacts on display, I saw what looked like a firearm. Upon reading the information plaque, it turned out to be a unique and very rare double-barreled flare gun from a German submarine. These big-bad-beefed-up flare guns were used on U-Boats in the Second World War not only for signalling and when in distress, but also for lighting purposes.

My interest peaked, I took several photos for reference thinking it would be a fun hard-surface model to recreate. Some further research later, I found this pistol had a very interesting history and I just knew I wanted to add it to the game in some way.

A lot has happed personally in my life the past year, which limited my spare time to work on the project. However, I was still able to spare an hour or so here and there every week. I decided to do something fun as well as challenging and out of the selection of models to work on next, I thought the Kriegsmarine signalling pistol would be perfect just for this.

Additionally, I wanted to document the whole creation of the model from start to finish. So, for the first time ever, I recorded the entire modelling process for one of my 3D pieces of work into a time-lapse!

Tune in next week for that but for now, enjoy these lovely renders and turntable of the complete model! I also did a variant render with a dark anodized coating. Enoy! 


Jason Bartlett ©


Jason Bartlett ©


Jason Bartlett ©


Jason Bartlett ©


Jason Bartlett ©
 

Jason Bartlett ©


Jason Bartlett ©


Jason Bartlett ©


Jason Bartlett ©


Jason Bartlett ©


Jason Bartlett ©




So why is there a WWII signalling pistol in D_ROGUE? That will have to remain a mystery until the game is released!


Thanks for reading :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6 Yr Blog Anniversary

H appy  6th Blogiversary! Six years ago today, this project began! Over two thousand days later  (Gulp) , I'm still proud of the consistency I've maintained. I often think back to University, which instilled in me the habit of posting regularly on Blogger. Looking back, it's incredible to see how much has changed, and yet how much the core of this project remains the same.  It's not always easy, but this blog has become a vital part of my creative process and personal growth. Developing D_ROGUE has been a long journey with many challenges and lessons learned along the way. Seeing the progress over the years fuels my motivation, especially that initial drive to document my work and build a portfolio. There's still a looooooong way to go, but I'm more determined than ever. Remembering my original intent...to document my journey, share my learnings, and build a portfolio, is key. Seeing my skills grow through previous posts has been both invaluable and ...

Boat Bow

U nlike the relatively rectangular mid-section, the curvature of the bow demanded a lot of attention to model correctly. Accuracy of the  F/V  Scully's  bow was paramount, as the front of the boat defines the vessel’s silhouette but also its ability to cleave through the sea. I was determined to get this to feel right and improve upon my first attempt from back in 2019. To achieve this, I scoured hundreds of images of crab boats, just to find at least one with a clear angle in dry dock below the water line  for reference .  I then stumbled upon a couple of images of a boat undergoing repairs with its hull plating partially removed. This was a massive breakthrough, offering a much better understanding of the reinforced internal structure. What’s more, the reference image just so happened to be of the fishing vessel seen in the TV show Deadliest Catch I originally based the F/V  Scully on…the F/V  Kodiak ! Following the reference image, I actually laid o...

Forepeak Progress

F ollowing on from the progress made modelling the bulwarks of the  F/V  Scully's  main  deck, I continued along towards the bow. Below we have the forepeak. This is the very most forward section of a boat, typically used in crab fishing vessels for frozen bait, general storage and essential machinery. The process of bringing the forepeak to life involved not just creating its fundamental shape, but also considering the practicalities of its function for authenticity; much like the rest of the boat. Given how vital this area on the boat is, I made sure to pay careful attention to the steel plating and seamless transition from the sides upwards .  The forepeak, in particular, has to look integrated with the rest of the deck and feel like it is capable of withstanding the constant battle with the elements; visually reflecting both its inherent strength and industrial purposes. Jason Bartlett © Next time, I concentrate very hard on getting the bow just right (that'...