Skip to main content

Eveready Captain Flashlight Renders

I

t has been a substantially long time since I was able to create a personal piece in less than a week. Recently, I had intended to return to modelling the complex machinery for onboard the F/V Scully but felt like I could achieve something small, as well as refined, in a short period of time. Which is just what I did.

While researching into possible crew possessions from the 70's, I stumbled across this flashlight. The 'Eveready Captain'. Instantly, three things stood out to me. One, I had to add this awesome shiny retro torch into the game. Two, the geometry seemed simple enough to replicate quick in 3D. And three, I mean, it couldn't be more fitting...it's called 'Captain'. Nuff said. 

As for references, I was able to find quite a lot of high-quality images online to work from. The main challenges I faced were, replicating the ribbed body without adding too high of a poly count and getting the steel/chrome texture right.   

Below are the final renders of the model. I really enjoyed recreating the printed and engraved logos as best I could. As like other props I've worked on for D_ROGUE, I aimed at adding some light weathering to make it looked used (but only ever so slightly to give it some realism).


Jason Bartlett ©


Jason Bartlett ©

Jason Bartlett ©


Jason Bartlett ©


Jason Bartlett ©


Jason Bartlett ©


Jason Bartlett ©

Jason Bartlett ©

Jason Bartlett ©


Jason Bartlett ©


Jason Bartlett ©

Above is a good close-up of some of the light wear I added to make the model look less factory new. I really enjoy adding the smaller details like scratches, grime, dirt and dust, as it makes all the unique surface features stand out!



Thanks for reading :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6 Yr Blog Anniversary

H appy  6th Blogiversary! Six years ago today, this project began! Over two thousand days later  (Gulp) , I'm still proud of the consistency I've maintained. I often think back to University, which instilled in me the habit of posting regularly on Blogger. Looking back, it's incredible to see how much has changed, and yet how much the core of this project remains the same.  It's not always easy, but this blog has become a vital part of my creative process and personal growth. Developing D_ROGUE has been a long journey with many challenges and lessons learned along the way. Seeing the progress over the years fuels my motivation, especially that initial drive to document my work and build a portfolio. There's still a looooooong way to go, but I'm more determined than ever. Remembering my original intent...to document my journey, share my learnings, and build a portfolio, is key. Seeing my skills grow through previous posts has been both invaluable and ...

Boat Bow

U nlike the relatively rectangular mid-section, the curvature of the bow demanded a lot of attention to model correctly. Accuracy of the  F/V  Scully's  bow was paramount, as the front of the boat defines the vessel’s silhouette but also its ability to cleave through the sea. I was determined to get this to feel right and improve upon my first attempt from back in 2019. To achieve this, I scoured hundreds of images of crab boats, just to find at least one with a clear angle in dry dock below the water line  for reference .  I then stumbled upon a couple of images of a boat undergoing repairs with its hull plating partially removed. This was a massive breakthrough, offering a much better understanding of the reinforced internal structure. What’s more, the reference image just so happened to be of the fishing vessel seen in the TV show Deadliest Catch I originally based the F/V  Scully on…the F/V  Kodiak ! Following the reference image, I actually laid o...

Forepeak Progress

F ollowing on from the progress made modelling the bulwarks of the  F/V  Scully's  main  deck, I continued along towards the bow. Below we have the forepeak. This is the very most forward section of a boat, typically used in crab fishing vessels for frozen bait, general storage and essential machinery. The process of bringing the forepeak to life involved not just creating its fundamental shape, but also considering the practicalities of its function for authenticity; much like the rest of the boat. Given how vital this area on the boat is, I made sure to pay careful attention to the steel plating and seamless transition from the sides upwards .  The forepeak, in particular, has to look integrated with the rest of the deck and feel like it is capable of withstanding the constant battle with the elements; visually reflecting both its inherent strength and industrial purposes. Jason Bartlett © Next time, I concentrate very hard on getting the bow just right (that'...