Skip to main content

Eveready Captain Flashlight Renders

I

t has been a substantially long time since I was able to create a personal piece in less than a week. Recently, I had intended to return to modelling the complex machinery for onboard the F/V Scully but felt like I could achieve something small, as well as refined, in a short period of time. Which is just what I did.

While researching into possible crew possessions from the 70's, I stumbled across this flashlight. The 'Eveready Captain'. Instantly, three things stood out to me. One, I had to add this awesome shiny retro torch into the game. Two, the geometry seemed simple enough to replicate quick in 3D. And three, I mean, it couldn't be more fitting...it's called 'Captain'. Nuff said. 

As for references, I was able to find quite a lot of high-quality images online to work from. The main challenges I faced were, replicating the ribbed body without adding too high of a poly count and getting the steel/chrome texture right.   

Below are the final renders of the model. I really enjoyed recreating the printed and engraved logos as best I could. As like other props I've worked on for D_ROGUE, I aimed at adding some light weathering to make it looked used (but only ever so slightly to give it some realism).


Jason Bartlett ©


Jason Bartlett ©

Jason Bartlett ©


Jason Bartlett ©


Jason Bartlett ©


Jason Bartlett ©


Jason Bartlett ©

Jason Bartlett ©

Jason Bartlett ©


Jason Bartlett ©


Jason Bartlett ©

Above is a good close-up of some of the light wear I added to make the model look less factory new. I really enjoy adding the smaller details like scratches, grime, dirt and dust, as it makes all the unique surface features stand out!



Thanks for reading :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hydraulic Crane Renders

I t has been over eight hundred and thirty five days since I began modelling the hydraulic crane (amongst many other things in my spare time) and I can finally say I have completed texturing it! This was without a doubt one of the hardest pieces of machinery to construct so far for D_ROGUE. Not only due to the number of parts involved (over one hundred individual pieces) but also the lack of any decent close-up reference. Almost every photo taken of a hydraulic crane, on board the boats seen in the TV show Deadliest Catch and elsewhere online, are either too far away or out of focus. I chose the F/V Saga crane as this was the most 'well-documented'. Eventually, it came down to just hours of staring at blurry images, learning all the major components, as well as a bit of creative licence! Here we have the final renders of the model below. I quite enjoyed weathering parts such as the hatch and lifting hook; adding a story with all the scratches, dinks and rust. I was careful not

Double-barreled Kriegsmarine Signalling Pistol Renders

H ello! After being away from blogging for almost an entire year (big life changes) I am finally back! Posts might not be regular every month from now on, but  D_ROGUE is still very much alive. Things are just moving a little slower, as well as a bit sideways...like a crab. As the title for this post states, I have created a model of a  double-barreled Kriegsmarine signalling pistol for the game! A couple of years ago, I visited The Royal Navy Submarine Museum. Amongst the fascinating history and artifacts on display, I saw what looked like a firearm. Upon reading the information plaque, it turned out to be a unique and very rare double-barreled flare gun from a  German  submarine.  These big-bad-beefed-up flare guns were used on U-Boats in the Second World War not only for signalling and when in distress, but also for lighting purposes. My interest peaked,  I took  several photos for reference thinking it would be a fun hard-surface model to recreate. Some  further research later, I f