Skip to main content

Row, Row, Row Your Boat

H

appy New Year!


Starting off the year with a thrust in the right direction.

Quite literally.

I finally finished modelling the propellers of the F/V Scully!

Back in late 2018, I created a placeholder propeller in Maya with the intention of one day completing the props, rudders and surrounding stern area. Since then, this floating, four-bladed (and completely unattached) propeller has just been lurking unfinished beneath the F/V Scully's hull for years.

Unitl now.

After completely remodelling the boat's decks and exterior, it felt only right to finally give this vessel propulsion and make the propeller and rudder assembly.

But wait. Why model a part of the boat that will be submerged in the ocean, inaccesable, and unseen in-game?

Well, why not? When life gives you lemons...make lemonade.

This game art project wasn't intially about making an actual game, it was about building my portfolio, learning new techniques and pushing my skills forward. I essentially wanted to challenge myself, pick up new techniques and enjoy the process along the way.

Beneath is a screenshot of the finished props and rudders. Fortunately, there were plently of references of the boats seen in the TV show Deadliest Catch below the waterline in dry dock!



Jason Bartlett ©


In the next post, I'll share my progress modelling the forepeak!


Thanks for reading :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6 Yr Blog Anniversary

H appy  6th Blogiversary! Six years ago today, this project began! Over two thousand days later  (Gulp) , I'm still proud of the consistency I've maintained. I often think back to University, which instilled in me the habit of posting regularly on Blogger. Looking back, it's incredible to see how much has changed, and yet how much the core of this project remains the same.  It's not always easy, but this blog has become a vital part of my creative process and personal growth. Developing D_ROGUE has been a long journey with many challenges and lessons learned along the way. Seeing the progress over the years fuels my motivation, especially that initial drive to document my work and build a portfolio. There's still a looooooong way to go, but I'm more determined than ever. Remembering my original intent...to document my journey, share my learnings, and build a portfolio, is key. Seeing my skills grow through previous posts has been both invaluable and ...

Boat Bow

U nlike the relatively rectangular mid-section, the curvature of the bow demanded a lot of attention to model correctly. Accuracy of the  F/V  Scully's  bow was paramount, as the front of the boat defines the vessel’s silhouette but also its ability to cleave through the sea. I was determined to get this to feel right and improve upon my first attempt from back in 2019. To achieve this, I scoured hundreds of images of crab boats, just to find at least one with a clear angle in dry dock below the water line  for reference .  I then stumbled upon a couple of images of a boat undergoing repairs with its hull plating partially removed. This was a massive breakthrough, offering a much better understanding of the reinforced internal structure. What’s more, the reference image just so happened to be of the fishing vessel seen in the TV show Deadliest Catch I originally based the F/V  Scully on…the F/V  Kodiak ! Following the reference image, I actually laid o...

Forepeak Progress

F ollowing on from the progress made modelling the bulwarks of the  F/V  Scully's  main  deck, I continued along towards the bow. Below we have the forepeak. This is the very most forward section of a boat, typically used in crab fishing vessels for frozen bait, general storage and essential machinery. The process of bringing the forepeak to life involved not just creating its fundamental shape, but also considering the practicalities of its function for authenticity; much like the rest of the boat. Given how vital this area on the boat is, I made sure to pay careful attention to the steel plating and seamless transition from the sides upwards .  The forepeak, in particular, has to look integrated with the rest of the deck and feel like it is capable of withstanding the constant battle with the elements; visually reflecting both its inherent strength and industrial purposes. Jason Bartlett © Next time, I concentrate very hard on getting the bow just right (that'...