Skip to main content

Asset Optimization

A

bout a year ago I posted my top tips for UV unwrapping (see here). Since then, I’ve FINALLY started working through my backlog of models and texturing them (some of which I created five years ago…where has the time gone?!). While prepping these assets, I spotted some un‑optimised geometry that needed fixing. This then felt like the perfect opportunity to share a few more tips on how to shave off the poly count.

Like UV unwrapping, model optimization is a necessary evil. However, unlike UV unwrapping, you can adopt what I like to call the 'polygon janitor' mindset whilst you build the model.

Here are five tips I've found particularly helpful while mopping as you model:

  • Pre-visualization: Before you start moving pixels, picture how your asset may look like untextured in wireframe view. Visualize the curves and edges. Is this a hero prop or a background asset? Are there specific areas that need more detail? How close will the viewer/camera get? If the answer is 'far away' or 'low‑impact', you can afford to keep the geometry pretty simple.

  • Poly-Density and Hotspots: As you add hundreds of points and vertices, look for dense areas and hotspots like on edges and curves. Constantly ask, do I really need a crisp smooth bevel or can I get away with the bare minimum? For a videogame, optimization is absolutely crucial for performance. Whether the model is for VR, film or an ad, a clean mesh is a happy mesh!
  • Interior Faces and Hidden Verts: Ask yourself, will anyone ever see the interior faces of this object? If not, delete it. Interior faces actually make up the bulk of unnecessary tris. Targeting these, you’ll cut the count without visual loss. Also, look out for overlapping vertices. In Maya, utilize the 'Merge Vertices' tool with a shallow threshold. Be thankful such an automatic wonder exists; saving you a lifetime of manually merging two verts one at a time with the Target Weld tool.
  • Over-attached Points and N-gons: Trim the excess geometry now. Future you will be very VERY grateful. Try to avoid over-attached vertices. Keep the limit of six edges for one vertex for best practise. Whenever possible, replace N‑gons with quads. Quads split cleanly into triangles on export, and keep the count reasonably predictable.

  • Purge and Purge Aagin: After you think you have finished reworking the model, run through the steps again. Even better, go slightly beyond that. You'll be surprised how on each pass you can uncover a better layout.  Optimization is an iterative process.

    Underneath is a before and after comparison of a recent revision. These sorting table wheels were at a count of almost 2,000 tris. After following my cleanup, it was down to 1056 tris. Don't be afraid to keep refining. Remember the saying "Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best."!

     


    Jason Bartlett ©


    Next post, Sorting Table renders!


    Thanks for reading :)

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    6 Yr Blog Anniversary

    H appy  6th Blogiversary! Six years ago today, this project began! Over two thousand days later  (Gulp) , I'm still proud of the consistency I've maintained. I often think back to University, which instilled in me the habit of posting regularly on Blogger. Looking back, it's incredible to see how much has changed, and yet how much the core of this project remains the same.  It's not always easy, but this blog has become a vital part of my creative process and personal growth. Developing D_ROGUE has been a long journey with many challenges and lessons learned along the way. Seeing the progress over the years fuels my motivation, especially that initial drive to document my work and build a portfolio. There's still a looooooong way to go, but I'm more determined than ever. Remembering my original intent...to document my journey, share my learnings, and build a portfolio, is key. Seeing my skills grow through previous posts has been both invaluable and ...

    Boat Bow

    U nlike the relatively rectangular mid-section, the curvature of the bow demanded a lot of attention to model correctly. Accuracy of the  F/V  Scully's  bow was paramount, as the front of the boat defines the vessel’s silhouette but also its ability to cleave through the sea. I was determined to get this to feel right and improve upon my first attempt from back in 2019. To achieve this, I scoured hundreds of images of crab boats, just to find at least one with a clear angle in dry dock below the water line  for reference .  I then stumbled upon a couple of images of a boat undergoing repairs with its hull plating partially removed. This was a massive breakthrough, offering a much better understanding of the reinforced internal structure. What’s more, the reference image just so happened to be of the fishing vessel seen in the TV show Deadliest Catch I originally based the F/V  Scully on…the F/V  Kodiak ! Following the reference image, I actually laid o...

    Forepeak Progress

    F ollowing on from the progress made modelling the bulwarks of the  F/V  Scully's  main  deck, I continued along towards the bow. Below we have the forepeak. This is the very most forward section of a boat, typically used in crab fishing vessels for frozen bait, general storage and essential machinery. The process of bringing the forepeak to life involved not just creating its fundamental shape, but also considering the practicalities of its function for authenticity; much like the rest of the boat. Given how vital this area on the boat is, I made sure to pay careful attention to the steel plating and seamless transition from the sides upwards .  The forepeak, in particular, has to look integrated with the rest of the deck and feel like it is capable of withstanding the constant battle with the elements; visually reflecting both its inherent strength and industrial purposes. Jason Bartlett © Next time, I concentrate very hard on getting the bow just right (that'...