Skip to main content

Boat Interior

W

hile I've been constructing the exterior of the F/V Scully, I thought it was time to block out the interior for future modelling and complete the bulk of the boat's body.  

From the start of the project, I had a rough idea on what the layout of the decks would look like from viewing similar crab fishing boats in the TV show Deadliest Catch. Though it was only until I had completed the exterior of the hull could I make a start on building the internals.

I was able to use the design sheets I created of the fore and aft cross sections (see here and here) to help guide me in the construction process.


Jason Bartlett ©

Here is a preview of all the F/V Scully's interior compartments blocked out. 


Jason Bartlett ©

Above I have unhidden the starboard hull surface for a better profile of the boat's outline. Once I get to a stage later down the line, where it feels overall closer to completion, I'll mirror the geometry over to create the whole vessel.

I am very much looking forward to decorating the interior spaces in the near future!


Thanks for reading :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6 Yr Blog Anniversary

H appy  6th Blogiversary! Six years ago today, this project began! Over two thousand days later  (Gulp) , I'm still proud of the consistency I've maintained. I often think back to University, which instilled in me the habit of posting regularly on Blogger. Looking back, it's incredible to see how much has changed, and yet how much the core of this project remains the same.  It's not always easy, but this blog has become a vital part of my creative process and personal growth. Developing D_ROGUE has been a long journey with many challenges and lessons learned along the way. Seeing the progress over the years fuels my motivation, especially that initial drive to document my work and build a portfolio. There's still a looooooong way to go, but I'm more determined than ever. Remembering my original intent...to document my journey, share my learnings, and build a portfolio, is key. Seeing my skills grow through previous posts has been both invaluable and ...

Boat Bow

U nlike the relatively rectangular mid-section, the curvature of the bow demanded a lot of attention to model correctly. Accuracy of the  F/V  Scully's  bow was paramount, as the front of the boat defines the vessel’s silhouette but also its ability to cleave through the sea. I was determined to get this to feel right and improve upon my first attempt from back in 2019. To achieve this, I scoured hundreds of images of crab boats, just to find at least one with a clear angle in dry dock below the water line  for reference .  I then stumbled upon a couple of images of a boat undergoing repairs with its hull plating partially removed. This was a massive breakthrough, offering a much better understanding of the reinforced internal structure. What’s more, the reference image just so happened to be of the fishing vessel seen in the TV show Deadliest Catch I originally based the F/V  Scully on…the F/V  Kodiak ! Following the reference image, I actually laid o...

Forepeak Progress

F ollowing on from the progress made modelling the bulwarks of the  F/V  Scully's  main  deck, I continued along towards the bow. Below we have the forepeak. This is the very most forward section of a boat, typically used in crab fishing vessels for frozen bait, general storage and essential machinery. The process of bringing the forepeak to life involved not just creating its fundamental shape, but also considering the practicalities of its function for authenticity; much like the rest of the boat. Given how vital this area on the boat is, I made sure to pay careful attention to the steel plating and seamless transition from the sides upwards .  The forepeak, in particular, has to look integrated with the rest of the deck and feel like it is capable of withstanding the constant battle with the elements; visually reflecting both its inherent strength and industrial purposes. Jason Bartlett © Next time, I concentrate very hard on getting the bow just right (that'...