Skip to main content

Wheelhouse Progress

B

ack at the start of 2024, I dove into modelling the interior of the F/V Scully. To be honest, I was slightly intimidated at first. Excited, but apprehensive. I knew I was embarking on a long arduous journey. The time I would spend on the interior would likely be more than tripled compared to the exterior (not including UV unwrapping and texturing). While creating the interior seemed fun, I also recognised it would be a daunting task. However, I soon realized that I have been tackling similar challenges throughout the project for years!

Over the next ten months in my free time, I constructed the interior of the F/V Scully. I began by blocking out the general spaces, using the exterior model as a guide, and my deck designs (see here and here) as reference. Next, I connected all the decks together with stairs, doorways and hatches. Then finally, added all the detailing room by room. The first of these rooms I worked on was the wheelhouse. 

F/V Scully's wheelhouse is one of the most important spaces in D_ROGUE. Players would spend a significant amount of time here compared to the rest of the boat; so I spent a little more effort to ensure everything feels just right. I used numerous reference images from the TV show Deadliest Catch and meticulously researched all the navigation equipment so it was authentic to the late 70's. Although one or two pieces may not have been available until the 80's, their aesthetical appeal made them worth including!

Below are a few screenshots inside the wheelhouse. The first two showcase the stark contrast between it's inital and fully modelled state, with all the assets and gear in place. I believe that incorporating the full bells and whistles, not only enhances the immersive experience for players but also introduces unique mechanics that will make taking control of the boat during gameplay feel both realistic and engaging.


Jason Bartlett ©

Jason Bartlett ©

Jason Bartlett ©

Jason Bartlett ©

In the next post, I'll share screenshots of the galley interior!


Thanks for reading :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6 Yr Blog Anniversary

H appy  6th Blogiversary! Six years ago today, this project began! Over two thousand days later  (Gulp) , I'm still proud of the consistency I've maintained. I often think back to University, which instilled in me the habit of posting regularly on Blogger. Looking back, it's incredible to see how much has changed, and yet how much the core of this project remains the same.  It's not always easy, but this blog has become a vital part of my creative process and personal growth. Developing D_ROGUE has been a long journey with many challenges and lessons learned along the way. Seeing the progress over the years fuels my motivation, especially that initial drive to document my work and build a portfolio. There's still a looooooong way to go, but I'm more determined than ever. Remembering my original intent...to document my journey, share my learnings, and build a portfolio, is key. Seeing my skills grow through previous posts has been both invaluable and ...

Boat Bow

U nlike the relatively rectangular mid-section, the curvature of the bow demanded a lot of attention to model correctly. Accuracy of the  F/V  Scully's  bow was paramount, as the front of the boat defines the vessel’s silhouette but also its ability to cleave through the sea. I was determined to get this to feel right and improve upon my first attempt from back in 2019. To achieve this, I scoured hundreds of images of crab boats, just to find at least one with a clear angle in dry dock below the water line  for reference .  I then stumbled upon a couple of images of a boat undergoing repairs with its hull plating partially removed. This was a massive breakthrough, offering a much better understanding of the reinforced internal structure. What’s more, the reference image just so happened to be of the fishing vessel seen in the TV show Deadliest Catch I originally based the F/V  Scully on…the F/V  Kodiak ! Following the reference image, I actually laid o...

Forepeak Progress

F ollowing on from the progress made modelling the bulwarks of the  F/V  Scully's  main  deck, I continued along towards the bow. Below we have the forepeak. This is the very most forward section of a boat, typically used in crab fishing vessels for frozen bait, general storage and essential machinery. The process of bringing the forepeak to life involved not just creating its fundamental shape, but also considering the practicalities of its function for authenticity; much like the rest of the boat. Given how vital this area on the boat is, I made sure to pay careful attention to the steel plating and seamless transition from the sides upwards .  The forepeak, in particular, has to look integrated with the rest of the deck and feel like it is capable of withstanding the constant battle with the elements; visually reflecting both its inherent strength and industrial purposes. Jason Bartlett © Next time, I concentrate very hard on getting the bow just right (that'...