Skip to main content

Main Deck Progress

T

aking a break from working on the interior of the F/V Scully, I redirected some much needed attention to the exterior.

Looking back at previous screenshots, it would appear I haven't worked on the F/V Scully's exterior deck since 2021!

A majority of the original boat model I worked on in 2019 was rushed. This was due to a deadline for an orthographic plan paint over I wanted to present for a portfolio review (see here and here). While that artwork was great to showcase at the time and provided valuable experience, it didn't directly lead to any new opportunities.

Using the original model as a template, I dove in and overhauled the exterior hull. I began at the main deck level, working outwards and along the port and starboard bulwarks (a vertical extension of the boats side above the main deck for protection against high waves and strong winds).

I focused particularly on the rear bulwarks, ensuring features have the right thickness to look sturdy against the elements. This involved defining the grid sections with much cleaner topology and carefully modelling details like the top edge railings, bilge pumps and pipes. I also integrated scuppers (low cutouts essential to quickly drain water off the deck). See below for the results.




Jason Bartlett ©

Jason Bartlett ©


Next time, I will show progress on the forepeak and bow!


Thanks for reading :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6 Yr Blog Anniversary

H appy  6th Blogiversary! Six years ago today, this project began! Over two thousand days later  (Gulp) , I'm still proud of the consistency I've maintained. I often think back to University, which instilled in me the habit of posting regularly on Blogger. Looking back, it's incredible to see how much has changed, and yet how much the core of this project remains the same.  It's not always easy, but this blog has become a vital part of my creative process and personal growth. Developing D_ROGUE has been a long journey with many challenges and lessons learned along the way. Seeing the progress over the years fuels my motivation, especially that initial drive to document my work and build a portfolio. There's still a looooooong way to go, but I'm more determined than ever. Remembering my original intent...to document my journey, share my learnings, and build a portfolio, is key. Seeing my skills grow through previous posts has been both invaluable and ...

Boat Bow

U nlike the relatively rectangular mid-section, the curvature of the bow demanded a lot of attention to model correctly. Accuracy of the  F/V  Scully's  bow was paramount, as the front of the boat defines the vessel’s silhouette but also its ability to cleave through the sea. I was determined to get this to feel right and improve upon my first attempt from back in 2019. To achieve this, I scoured hundreds of images of crab boats, just to find at least one with a clear angle in dry dock below the water line  for reference .  I then stumbled upon a couple of images of a boat undergoing repairs with its hull plating partially removed. This was a massive breakthrough, offering a much better understanding of the reinforced internal structure. What’s more, the reference image just so happened to be of the fishing vessel seen in the TV show Deadliest Catch I originally based the F/V  Scully on…the F/V  Kodiak ! Following the reference image, I actually laid o...

Forepeak Progress

F ollowing on from the progress made modelling the bulwarks of the  F/V  Scully's  main  deck, I continued along towards the bow. Below we have the forepeak. This is the very most forward section of a boat, typically used in crab fishing vessels for frozen bait, general storage and essential machinery. The process of bringing the forepeak to life involved not just creating its fundamental shape, but also considering the practicalities of its function for authenticity; much like the rest of the boat. Given how vital this area on the boat is, I made sure to pay careful attention to the steel plating and seamless transition from the sides upwards .  The forepeak, in particular, has to look integrated with the rest of the deck and feel like it is capable of withstanding the constant battle with the elements; visually reflecting both its inherent strength and industrial purposes. Jason Bartlett © Next time, I concentrate very hard on getting the bow just right (that'...