Skip to main content

Commodore CAT 09

One year ago, I revealed the name of my game art project D_ROGUE with an animation sequence to reveal the title. I created this animation in the style of a retro computer screen.

Firstly, I picked this style as D_ROGUE is set in 1977. This was the year the first early computers became commercially available and the age of the personal computer (PC) was born.

Secondly, I planned to have a computer set on board the fishing vessel in the game and the Commodore 'PET', released the same year, boldly stood out when doing R&D.

The Commodore PET was unique for being one of the first computers to combine multiple components such as a monitor, cassette deck (for data) and internal storage in a single all-in-one case. The design has very distinct features and beam's late 70's retrofuturism.

While I was creating the title animation, I thought it would be fun to create a fictional model of the Commodore PET and introduce it via a loading 'splash' screen (see here). I called this model the Commodore CAT 09; a slightly modified version for commercial fishing.

Now one year later, I've come a long way in hard surface 3D modelling and felt it was time to actually create the PC for D_ROGUE.


Jason Bartlett ©
 
Above is the near finished low poly model ready to be exported in Maya. As I have not actually seen a Commodore PET in person, I would find out it was quite the opposite to my last modelling challenge; where I created a barometer/clock mostly from memory, filling in the gaps with references (see here). This was a large photo-based build, that required a lot of research hunting down images of all the parts and pieces, in several perspectives; and all in high enough quality to work from.


Jason Bartlett ©

After completing the low poly model and unwrapping the UV's, I knew I would have to take my time with the high poly. As the model is all hard surface, I made sure to pay close attention to the reference images. Such as, what materials were used that make up the body of the PC and how the geometry softens or hardens on corners, edges and vertices. Here I have the finished cassette drive (yes, before floppy disk drives, audio cassettes were used to store and recall programs on early personal computers)!


Jason Bartlett ©

In the modelling stage, I knew that the most polygon dense part of the computer case would be that with the most individual parts, the keyboard and number pad. Above, I have the before (low poly) and after (high poly) side by side to show the stark difference of the two. I accomplished this contrast by experimenting with the low poly to see what the bare minimum poly count and shape could be for the keys; yet still give the best results in curvature and bevelling when it came to the high poly.


Jason Bartlett ©

Here I have the model completely textured in Substance Painter. I have selected the cassette lid tray texture set (displayed in the right 2D viewport). I really enjoyed the process of matching colours and values of the PC and adding the smallest of details, such as the auto reverse logo on the cassette lid behind the clear plastic front.


Jason Bartlett ©

While creating this model, I made the most custom brushes and alphas I've ever made on a model! There were a lot of stickers, logos, symbols and shapes even on this very minimalist computer. I created as much as I possibly could using vector graphics in Photoshop; so, no matter how large or small the image is, the artwork or text remained smooth and crisp. The only exception, I found a template for the keyboard symbols, as that would have taken many many more hours creating seventy-three individual faces! Above, I have added alpha masks to a chrome texture to give the faces of the keys a foil sticker effect.  


Jason Bartlett ©

Finally, here I have the model inside Marmoset Toolbag 3 with all the exported textures from Substance assigned to the corresponding material shaders. below are a few renders I am very pleased with. Enjoy!


Jason Bartlett ©

Jason Bartlett ©

Jason Bartlett ©

Jason Bartlett ©

Jason Bartlett ©

Here I took a render from Marmoset and had some fun in Photoshop, playing with filters and blending options, to create a photcopied-like newspaper ad for the CAT 09.

For more shots of the model, check out my Artstation page here. Overall, I am really happy with how this model turned out and the entire workflow process was very rewarding. Look forward to turn on the monitor with some animation in the future!


Thanks for reading :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6 Yr Blog Anniversary

H appy  6th Blogiversary! Six years ago today, this project began! Over two thousand days later  (Gulp) , I'm still proud of the consistency I've maintained. I often think back to University, which instilled in me the habit of posting regularly on Blogger. Looking back, it's incredible to see how much has changed, and yet how much the core of this project remains the same.  It's not always easy, but this blog has become a vital part of my creative process and personal growth. Developing D_ROGUE has been a long journey with many challenges and lessons learned along the way. Seeing the progress over the years fuels my motivation, especially that initial drive to document my work and build a portfolio. There's still a looooooong way to go, but I'm more determined than ever. Remembering my original intent...to document my journey, share my learnings, and build a portfolio, is key. Seeing my skills grow through previous posts has been both invaluable and ...

Boat Bow

U nlike the relatively rectangular mid-section, the curvature of the bow demanded a lot of attention to model correctly. Accuracy of the  F/V  Scully's  bow was paramount, as the front of the boat defines the vessel’s silhouette but also its ability to cleave through the sea. I was determined to get this to feel right and improve upon my first attempt from back in 2019. To achieve this, I scoured hundreds of images of crab boats, just to find at least one with a clear angle in dry dock below the water line  for reference .  I then stumbled upon a couple of images of a boat undergoing repairs with its hull plating partially removed. This was a massive breakthrough, offering a much better understanding of the reinforced internal structure. What’s more, the reference image just so happened to be of the fishing vessel seen in the TV show Deadliest Catch I originally based the F/V  Scully on…the F/V  Kodiak ! Following the reference image, I actually laid o...

Forepeak Progress

F ollowing on from the progress made modelling the bulwarks of the  F/V  Scully's  main  deck, I continued along towards the bow. Below we have the forepeak. This is the very most forward section of a boat, typically used in crab fishing vessels for frozen bait, general storage and essential machinery. The process of bringing the forepeak to life involved not just creating its fundamental shape, but also considering the practicalities of its function for authenticity; much like the rest of the boat. Given how vital this area on the boat is, I made sure to pay careful attention to the steel plating and seamless transition from the sides upwards .  The forepeak, in particular, has to look integrated with the rest of the deck and feel like it is capable of withstanding the constant battle with the elements; visually reflecting both its inherent strength and industrial purposes. Jason Bartlett © Next time, I concentrate very hard on getting the bow just right (that'...