R
eturning five years later to finally begin
completing these models has been interesting.
I cleaned up model topology and improved UV maps whilst also
adding in some extra detailing, making each piece consistent with a level of
detail from the viewer's perspective.
One model I added further detailing to before texturing was
the Coiling Block. This piece features heavily in gameplay and is centre stage
out of all of the mechanical equipment for bringing up crab pots, so it made
sense to focus more attention on it. I further reduced the poly count and added
hydraulic cables to the back.
Something I have always done manually since learning Maya at
Uni is wrapping hard surface objects with other objects like cable ties, tape
and rope.
I always found this a time-consuming and annoying task (even though I have got pretty quick at the steps involved and avoiding
intersecting objects). Recently, while looking at rope modelling
inspiration, I found a simple tutorial on wrapping objects in Maya 2026.
Using the ShrinkWrap deformer, I was able to wrap a cylinder
around cables and make it look like bound tape holding the cables with
ease. How have I never used this super simple technique before?
Like other things I have learnt along the way, this is
something I will be instantly adding to my tool bag workflow!
Below are a few screenshots of the tool in use on the
hydraulic cables...where a little tweak in the attribute editor and topology
clean up can all be achieved in a minute or so!



Comments
Post a Comment